Rating: 2.4/5
Referral index
How likely are you to refer?
Rating: 3.1/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I hate NRMA
I'm a NGE Premium Subscriber

PostPosted: 31 Dec 12 05:05
Post subject: 9kg gas bottle refill - $40!
Organisation name: 9kg gas bottle
Issue type: Comment

Cripes what is with all the " In NZ we do this" well hello your not in NZ anymore, one of the reasons they might still pump your fuel in NZ is that your to stupid to be trusted to do it yourself? Really have to laugh at caravans that winge about LPG prices, delay everyone else as wobble down the highway 30kph under the posted speed limit, cause mayhem pulling off the highway or back onto it after spotting what you think is a " good roadside price" for fruit, then have the hide to park in the limted truck rest areas so you can get a "freebie" then winge about the truck noise? Caravans are a great idea untill they put wheels onto them & for the NZ's that are not happy about the service here in OZ then go back home
bababoom

PostPosted: 01 Jul 10 08:04
Organisation name: Not Applicable

Lynx is correct, I talked to a driver from an lpg supply company and he told me that they fill all bottles, bbq/forklift/heating etc from the same main tank, and it is also from the same supply that is going in your cars from the servo, I do not and will not pay a gas supply company to fill my bottles anymore. When they are in need to be tested I change them over for new bottles. Anyone happy to be ripped off using swap n go or bunnings, more power too you!! eusa_clap.gif
mr_fluffy3

PostPosted: 30 Nov 09 12:22

Propane Gas. Just to confuse this issue, some people have access to natural gas, usually plumbed to a property from a gas main and some use straight butane. The only real difference, from a user point of view, between appliances running on different gas fuels is the size of the gas jets.

The jet is a brass restriction sized to give the most efficient mix of fuel and air for safe and efficient combustion. The jet size differs significantly between fuel types - small for LPG and progressively larger through to natural gas.

The use of Auto gas is an appliance jetted for LPG will result in less efficiency - you will use more gas for the same result unless the jets are changed to suit the mix being used.

It really doesn't matter what fuel you choose - but from the preceding posts - some people are tempting fate by choosing engage in questionable practices to obtain gas for their appliances.

Cylinders are filled to a maximum of 80% to allow for the draw-off of gas vapour rather than liquid. Intentional over filling can result in liquid propane, for example, being forced through the gas regulator, flexible pipe and combustion mechanism with potentially dangerous results.

The decanting of liquefied gas into storage cylinders is a straight forward operation that should only be conducted by qualified people. The potential for explosion and fire is significant and home handymen should not risk injuring themselves and others for the sake of a few dollars. The ramifications of a single error could last a life time.
petainnt

PostPosted: 02 Nov 09 23:13
Organisation name: n/a

CHICK CHICK BOOM!!!!! _ methinks Kadee
kadee

PostPosted: 01 Nov 09 23:30
Organisation name: na

"...my limited knowledge"

"...should be"

"...I think"

BOOM!!!
Lynx

PostPosted: 01 Nov 09 21:45

A few years ago i had access to fill the large gas bottles from a normal lpg bowser i used this gas to heat my house and hot water for years with no problems. People are told household gas is to be pure propane. The same gas truck that fills the servo lpg tanks fills the bbq bottle tank you go figure. I have an old car on gas and im going to fit a tap before the gas converter so i can bleed off liquid lpg into my bbq bottles. I can drive my car to servo fill up my lpg tank legally and then return home with bonnet open connect up the filler hose and save lots of dollars!! From my limited knowledge Elgas store pure Propane in there tanks so any Elgas lpg bowser should be pure propane. I think pure propane burns more efficently than the blend of propane butane.

The Swap and Go is a great idea to keep gas cylinders "in date" and tested but car gas tanks only need to be retested after 10 years. I think that is the same for 9 kg bottles ( AND TO BUY NEW ARE ONLY $50 OR SO). It only costs about $10 to fill a 8.5kg gas bottle the swap and go price i paid was $34 Where is the $24 going sure some profit for service and some testing fees. BUT NOT $24 EACH TIME A BOTTLE IS FILLED!!!
buster 100

PostPosted: 01 Nov 09 03:22

There appears to be some common misinformation regarding LPG.I have to conclude that there are certain individuals and organisations who have a vested interest,Likely financial,and definitely motivated by all out greed,in spreading this misinformation.!1/ It is exactly the same stuff in cars as in barbecues!(A mixture of propane and butane)"NOT JUST PROPANE FOR BARBECUES".In Perth,to fill a 9 kg bottle (which is about 20 litres)Costs,depending on where you go/Bunnings $27.50/Ranger $22.75/recycling depot Malaga $90.00.With a special filler adapter $10.20.I have two gas freezers,a gas fridge and a barbecue,not to mention the caravan.I have been for six years running all the above via the use of my adaptor.No,I repeat "NO" modifications required to any equipment.I would not recommend filling bottles in cars or under tarps on trailers.It is heavier than air and highly volatile.I always fill in the open air and use a screwdriver to open the release valve.This releases a small amount of gas into the air and indicates that the bottle is full.You do not want any gas in an enclosed space.Let alone your car.Too many ignition sources!Just blindside the operator by parking your car so that the bowser is between them and you.I think swap and go is a colossal con job perpetrated by the oil conglomerates to super inflate their profit margin.It is becoming increasingly difficult to buy empty gas bottles.(This is by design)In Perth they are only obtainable through Ranger.Cost $67.00 (buy while you can!)I have been told by an insider that it is the intention of the gas suppliers to take bottled gas off the service stations all together.You will have to go to their supply depot.Watch the price go through the roof then!!!Look..I am not here to misinform you.I know what I am saying is factual!As far as protecting the customer from some perceived danger of refilling.I can recall no single incident in the last twenty years where an operator,who used to fill the bottle.Blew himeself or a customer up.Can you?To be absolutely on the safe side,do not use out of date or damaged bottles!!!!!!Nuff said!
kiwi2768

PostPosted: 12 Oct 09 21:21

Nicole82 - if I take my bottle to be refilled and the bottle is still a quarter full, how does the person refilling the bottle know how much gas they are giving me? Or do they just charge me to fill the bottle as if it was empty to start with?
Section52

PostPosted: 08 Oct 09 21:36

Now I am confused. A few years ago the customer owned 9Kg cylinders were marked liquid Propane.
The Origin 'Swap and Go' cylinders that I use now are marked LPG which I understand is the same as bowser gas.
computerflyer

PostPosted: 08 Oct 09 09:35

Nicole82,

That is well and good, but up here in Melbourne the propane shops are charging in the mid-$30 range, as are most of the swap shops. One Liberty station is only $22.50, and Bunnings is still $27.50.

For quality, thanks for the explanation. As for being ripped off (which we are since there is SOME relationship to cost and the Aussie x-rate) in the near North and probably other places icon_evil.gif
Nicole82

PostPosted: 08 Oct 09 09:09
Organisation name: na

We run an LP Gas business. Reading the comments above, there seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding LP Gas specifically to do with the filling of BBQ cylinders. Basically when you fill a cylinder the rule of thumb is that you get approximately double the kg rate of the cylinder in litres (ie. an 8.6kg will contain 16.86 litres of gas, a 4kg will contain 7.84 litres of gas and so on).

All LP Gas cylinders are filled to only 80% which is determinded by the body that governs the selling & use of LP Gas in Australia known as Australian Standards. The only legal way to fill a BBQ cylinder from a 0.67 kg through to a 9kg is by opening the bleed valve at the side of the cylinder and not by using scales. By using this process small spurts of gas will release from the bleed valve which is the indication that the cylinder is 80% full.

Also when you compare pricing of BBQ refills against bowser prices this comparison usually is incorrect due to the fact that in all LP Gas cylinders companies are by law required to use pure Propane which is the best grade of gas available. However, in the bowser most companies buy and resell a butane/propane mix which is a cheaper form of gas. This is the reason behind there being quite a large difference between the pump litre rate and LP Gas cylinder fill rates including BBQ and domestic cylinders.

Currently our price to refill a 9kg cylinder is $24.00 and our change over cost (Delivered to households on the Mornington Peninsula) is $30.00.
Section52

PostPosted: 23 Oct 08 11:07

The density of propane is 0.5077 kg/L and as the swap and go bottles are filled to 8.5 Kg you would get about 17 litres of liquid. At $27.50 for a swap the propane would cost $3.23 per litre or about $2.50 more than the bowser price. But to offset this you get a cylinder with a current date stamp and the convenience.
firefly3

PostPosted: 21 Oct 08 11:32

Local Bunnings catalogue today 9kg refill $27.50
tweettee

PostPosted: 21 Oct 08 11:12

I would not call making your own hose fitting and using an LPG pump as smart. As an ex manager of a service station, this is just downright dangerous and if I was the console operator, I would shut down your pump immediately. This is about the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.
kingwalker

PostPosted: 21 Oct 08 02:24

because us the silly public let them thieve from us,ive heard off smart people make up a hose fiiting and refill from the bowser, maybe some one should complain to the accc,
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: 1, 2  [Next >>]
Jump to: