How likely are you to refer?
Rating: 1.9/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samantha22

PostPosted: 29 Nov 10 17:40
Post subject: Extended Warranty - Questionable Interpretation of T&C
Organisation name: Harvey Norman Registered company is listening
Issue type: Complaint

Seems crazy, I agree, that completely sukks.
mr_fast

PostPosted: 16 Oct 10 12:14

Yes this seems ridiculous. If it isn't a 'mechanical' fault, then it's a 'materials' fault, and their trying to distinguish between these categories seems very very petty. After all, they do write 'no more worries parts' and that 'all parts and labour costs are covered' to sell these extended warranties. When is a part of the microwave not a part of the microwave?
kadee

PostPosted: 13 Sep 10 19:15

While I agree the microwave should be covered (I'd be jumping up & down)I cant agree with the generalisation of "Their lack of "warranty" even in an obvious hardware fault is ALWAYS turned around to either be the consumers fault of simply "not covered"."

I buy extended warranty on everything over $500 and have claimed from IC Frith too many times to count. Everything from microwave to fridge, printers, laptops and recently my digital camera.

Not once, ever, have I had a claim refused. In every instance the product has been repaired, replaced or paid out within weeks.

My experiences are first hand.
water1

PostPosted: 13 Sep 10 10:56
Issue type: Comment

Depending on the age of the unit, I would perhaps give LG a call also. Normally the rotating ring assembly is covered for 2 years warranty. They may send you a replacement as a good will gesture. It couldn't hurt to ask them.
Cas98

PostPosted: 02 Sep 10 11:43
Organisation name: Not Applicable
Issue type: Comment

This is the main reason I never purchase from Hardly Normal. Their lack of "warranty" even in an obvious hardware fault is ALWAYS turned around to either be the consumers fault of simply "not covered". This situation here just confirms the fact that Hardly Normal have what I call a "concrete warranty". That is, the second your foot hits the concrete outside the store, as far as they are concerned, your warranty is null and void.
DG58

PostPosted: 02 Sep 10 11:40
Organisation name: Not Applicable

It's a well known fact that extended warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. They told you it's not a mechanical fault? of course it is, sound like the cog sheared off, and if that is not a mechanical fault than what do they call it? Maybe if you took it back to the shop where you bought it and spoke to the manager you might get more help, it happened to me not long ago with a different item and the manager simply replaced it for me and I didn't have "warranty".
sammyc

PostPosted: 01 Sep 10 15:49

My LG Microwave's plate suddenly stopped spinning, during normal use. There's only two of us at home, small eaters, we certainly weren't trying microwave bags of cement!

Looking under the plate, I found that the plastic part with wheels has sheared off where it joins the drive shaft inside the metal surround (it just lifted away).

I was onsold a 4 year extended warranty from Harvey Norman when I bought the microwave, so fully expected breakage during standard use to be covered. I mean surely the join between the spinning bit and the drive shaft should be strong enough to keep this plate spinning for a few years.

I have been told by the Harvey Norman Extended Warranty Claims Hotline that this is not a mechanical fault, therefore it is not covered. They could not tell me exactly how this issue is classified under the terms and conditions (if it's not mechanical, what is it?), only that it somehow falls outside of being a mechanical fault, something to with it being plastic apparently. They seemed to think it was somehow my fault.

From my understanding of the definition of 'mechanical', I'd assume all moving parts forming the mechanism that spins the plate would be classified as mechanical, as would be the door hinge and lock for example. They would not give me the definition of mechanical that they were using to make this decision, and there is no explanation exactly what falls under the rather limited fault categories of "mechanical, electronic or electrical".

Not happy Harvey Norman, what a rip off!
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Jump to: