Road Etiquette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kadee

PostPosted: 02 May 11 12:52
Post subject: Road Etiquette

I was driving Townsville/Cairns on Saturday night. At about 2am I caught sight of a horse standing just a few feet from the highway. As I was in woop woop part of the trip I couldn't call the cops or whoever. I didn't know how to warn oncoming trucks and cars. I tried giving them a light flicker combined with my hazards but of course they'd have no clue what I was on about.

Is there a universal danger signal?
Danny_b

PostPosted: 03 May 11 19:11

There isn't that I know of, but driving on rural roads, I always use a flash of high beams for a road hazard, which makes most other drivers slow down and become more alert. I'm sure most probably think that there's speed camera ahead or something.
misterbean

PostPosted: 11 May 11 09:32

You're right on the ball 'Kadee' ~~ Flashing your headlights 2 times is actually a signal internationally of impending road dangers.
Trucks do so to warn motorists generally - because they mostly have their own radio links between other heavy vehicles.
Given that the greatest road hazard for motorists in this country is the insatiable govenmental appitites for dollars from the marginally over-speed motorists it is of course the most usual hazard to be warned of !
kadee

PostPosted: 11 May 11 09:34

Trouble is a flash of headlights is generally a warning of police radars. I wanted to warn of potential disaster.
athousandmonkeys

PostPosted: 11 May 11 11:02

So what's the problem? If drivers think the police are carrying out a revenue raising exercise in the area, they'll be much more alert as they look out for them. When they see the horse, they'll realise why you flashed your lights.

I always flash my lights to warn drivers about speed traps - as they're blatant revenue raising masquerading as "safety measures". An overwhelming majority of people get booked in the 1-25Kmh over the limit range, but the percentage of accidents actually CAUSED by driving at these speeds is so minuscule, it doesn't even warrant its own statistic!!!
kadee

PostPosted: 11 May 11 11:40

err...bit hard to see the horse in the middle of the road in the middle of the night at 100k!
athousandmonkeys

PostPosted: 11 May 11 19:16

The "middle of the road"?

Err. . . I thought you said the horse was "standing just a few feet from the highway"?
kadee

PostPosted: 11 May 11 19:28

sigh...he wasn't dead. Had legs.
misterbean

PostPosted: 16 Jun 11 11:38

Good point also about headlights flashing at night !
The universal routine is to swith lights off and on twice ! But in cars this isn't always possible and practical.
In trucks head-lamp switches are a convenient Tab switch - and the chance of the lights staying off is below negligible
fapman

PostPosted: 16 Jun 11 17:08

More than few people have been killed when hitting horses at night with cars. You cannot see them until they come through the windshield. Horses are tall and the mass of their bodies causes them tip onto the car that hits them. They then enter the car through the windscreen . A kicking,flailing tonne of dying horse kills anything that gets close . I knew of a woman and child who were killed in 1988 in NSW when a medium size kangaroo went through the windscreen and many people have died in Europe when hitting Elk. Then there is the matter of hitting moose in Canada. A moose is far bigger than a horse and the result is the same.
You did the correct thing warning other motorists. If you had been stopped by a cop you had an excuse and even the keenest of ticket writers would have excused you.
keepleft

PostPosted: 21 Jul 11 20:12

For approaching traffic, a flash or two of the high-beam. (Also to better gain the attention of lead traffic that your about to overtake/pass them; indicators must be used per normal as well).

To warn vehicles of a hazard up ahead, or one that might be developing on say a highway;- a few seconds of the hazard warning lights!
bittern

PostPosted: 19 Aug 11 22:06

Don't forget the driver behind you, tapping your brake lights two or three times also warns drivers some distance behind you that you have just come upon a hazard or potential hazard, especially on country roads. And when flashing your driving lights several times, at least the driver coming towards you should slow down for a bit, no matter what they think you have flashed your lights for.
On the other hand there are the drivers (truck and motor vehicle) that persist in driving without their lights on just before dusk or when there is fog. No, "Parking Lights" are not adequate!! eusa_wall.gif
dingdongdarna

PostPosted: 23 Aug 11 06:42

Being a Driving Instructor for NSW I teach the kids to only flash when danger up ahead, flash your lights breifly to warn others to slow down.
But I did have once instance where I was teaching a student night driving and how judgment at night is different because vision is limited.
But we were on a country road with no street lights and teaching her how to use highbeams and then to cancel them when you see an oncoming car approaching, and the oncoming car should cancel there high beam also. Well this oncoming car at night did NOT cancel there high beam and I asked her to flash him twice to tell him to turn them off as it makes it very difficult for drivers approaching to see. So she flashed twice like I asked..... and what do you know?? It was a police vehicle... he quickly chucked a uturn and chased us.... but then he did NOT pull us over , he just followed us realising we were learners.

Also why we are on the topic of ROAD ETIQUETTE... I am finding more and more people are not using there signals at intersections, roundabouts, traffic lights. Are people that lazy to just flick the switch and let other people know where your going. Or are we suppose to all be MIND READERS and Psychic?? I now know why.... Apparently you don't lose any demerit points for not indicating.... There's the answer

I could go on all day about Driving Etiquette but I would need to right book.
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Jump to: