Jetstar: Offers service accepts payment then withdraws
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE

PostPosted: 25 Oct 09 14:29
Post subject: Jetstar: Offers service accepts payment then withdraws

This year I booked a flight from Darwin to Adelaide for business, paid for the fare and then 18 days later Jetstar sent me an email asking me to accept a change of my flight which would arrive one day later. I contacted Jetstar and complained that under contract law they could not legally offer a service, accept payment and then withdraw the service. I was told that I was wrong and that they could in fact do this (law unto themselves) and that I should read my contract.

When I challenged Jetstar about my business connection dilemma their response was that I could fly one day earlier. My response was that this was totally unacceptable and that I was not willing to incur an additional day's accommodation and car hire due to their need to change a service that was previously offered and accepted in good faith.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and proceeded to lodge a formal complaint. Jetstar's only response was that they could offer a full refund which I accepted. I also advised Jetstar that as a matter of principle I would be traveling to Adelaide from Darwin via Brisbane using Virgin at an extra expense. This was was met with ambivalence and I was left with a feeling that Jetstar do not care about their clients at all.

Having lived in Darwin for 26 years and have to travel often and you rely on a good air service. I am all for budget travel but this is taking it to extreme. Now we are at the mercy of Jetstar who believe that it is more important to offer the cheapest flights at the expense of providing a basic service that was advertised and clients have accepted the offer in good faith.

I quote part of Jetstar's mission statement "Jetstar's mission is to enable more people to fly more often..."

Not good enough Jetstar, you should be called Scabstar.

NGE Member: entee
SUPA8NV

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 06:26

Seems Jetstar does this quiet often, my daughter was in Melbourne for a long weekend. Flying home on the monday night. They got a phone call on the sunday night to tell them their flight has been moved to 6 am monday 12 hrs early. Because of this they had to cut their long weekend short

pathetic really
Fat_Cat

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 06:50

I travel several times per year to Qld for work, and my scummy company always book bloody Jetstar to save money, however without fail my return flight is ALWAYS cancelled giving me no choice but to fly home with another carrier at a much higher rate.
Lift your game Jetstar!
m3it

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 06:52

Jetstar is catering to a particular market segment - those for whom price overrides most other aspects of their service. They're doing well for a reason - most people can live with the hassles for a cheaper flight. Personally, I would never fly Jetstar as I prefer to pay a little more (and it's not much) and know exactly what I'm getting. I'd certainly never recommend Jetstar for any business or time-critical arrangements.
BigBull

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 07:47

I was booked on Qantas to fly to Tasmania when Jetstar first started, they just rang up and said (after we had paid the full Qantas rate) we are starting Jetstar and you have been off loaded to JetStar. We chose to get a refund (which was a hastle in itself)and sailed on the Spirit of Australia. The trip was so rough we were delayed 7 hours so my husband refused to take it back (although we had booked) and the only flight he could get was on Jetstar. Whilst at the airport a woman arrived with three very small children she was 5 repeat 5 minutes late for her cut off time..........boarding had not commenced, but they refused to let her on. The trip back was the most uncomfortable I have ever travelled and since then I have never and will never fly either Qantas or Jetstar again. icon_mad.gif
herring

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 07:53

Jetstar's target market is the simple battler who used to take the train or bus.

If that is not you, then you have no business trying to save a few dollars on aircraft not meant for you.
jabiru

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 08:36

Yep, they (jetstar) sure are a law unto themselves. Do you notice there is always someone (probably a Jetstar employee) on this website who has to provide some excuse for Jetstar e.g. "Herring" icon_sad.gif
puffin1

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 08:58

My Jetstar bad experience #1: We were in Melbourne for the weekend. Went to airport to return home. Dropped off rental car. We were pushed for time (we had 3 kids in tow, one in a pram) only to find the lift to take us to the checkin counter was broken. We had to use the lift because we had all our luggage and the pram. Ran about 200m down to catch other lift. Arrived at Jetstar checkin with about 2 minutes to spare (before the 30min cutoff). Problem was we were in a queue of about 10 people. Well come the 30 min cutoff, they simple put up a sign saying flight closed and refused to put us on the plane (us and 3 other irate passangers). Refused to listen about how we had to detour an extra 5 minutes or more because of the broken lift. We had to buy 3 new tickets (two kids were under payment age) to get home 6 hours later. Spent 6 glorious (NOT!) hours stuck at Melbourne airport with the kids. BUT WAIT IT GETS BETTER. When they checked us in for our new flight, they forgot to tag my wifes luggage, a huge purple suitcase full of all her clothes, makeup, etc.. So we finally get home to Newcastle Airport only to find her bag is not there. Had to go home with missing luggage, assured it would "turn up". Days, and numerous phone calls later, still not luggage and one very very !?#@ed off wife, she had rang every day with no success. On the off chance, she rang Qantas, got put through to baggage handling, and guess what? they found it straight away. Qantas arranged for it delivered to our door (Well done Qantas!!!!!). Jetsar thoroughly deserve their "Jokestar" tag.

Jetstar bad experience #2: Ok, ill make this short: Was to fly to Melb for bucks parts with friends, all were going to catch same plane. Arrived at Newcastle airport 5 minutes late. Tried everything to get on board - unsuccessfully. Told cant get on board now as baggage will disrupt trimming on plane that Captain carries out before flight due to weight distribution. Asked if could call the Captain and check if it was ok. Told definately could not call Captain. Gave up and waited for next flight. Stood amused as several others turned up late for the same treatment only to overhear one very irate traveller be told "I'm sorry, but the person before you was late also, we rang the Captain and he said he could not let him on board". A flat out lie. I marched over and pointed out to the liar at checkin that he "definately could not" check with the Captain of the plane. Red faced he denied everything and dissappeared. I do feel sorry for the staff who get abused for having to tell lies.

I dont fly much, but now when I do I fly Virgin. Their printout boarding pass system is fantastic.
jonti

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 15:21

You've hit the nail on the head, puffin1. The convenience of Virgin's print-at-home boarding pass more than makes up for any extra cost of their fares compared to Jetstar. Also as a Melbourne resident, who wants to drag themselves down to Avalon if the flight destination is also served by Qantas.
biker11

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 15:41

I am no genius, however I suspect my wife is. Whenever we plan to fly, she says " I will not go with jetstar."
Why? Because of the constant barrage of bad press about them since their inception.
Where there is smoke, there is fire.
Never used them; never will.
I just cant work out why the rest of Australia is not as smart as us.
geoffs

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 19:27

Not directly Jetstar related, but Qantas related ... just got back from a flight booked via the internet (a "frequent flyer points") return flight to/from the USA. I have never flown Qantas to the USA (always United for the last 7 trips) - and felt good I was flying the "safest" airline in the world .... except I wasn't .... *all* of my Qantas flight numbers had "twins" with another airline. I flew over on Fiji's airline (with the mandatory stop off at Fiji) and then back on an Air new Zealand flight (with the mandatory stop off in N.Z.) - I never once saw a plane with a Qantas logo on it ... yet I "flew Qantas" ......
KiwiAus

PostPosted: 26 Oct 09 23:12

I don't believe that Qantas code-share with Air NZ so you may have that wrong. And Air NZ are better anyway.
ateday

PostPosted: 27 Oct 09 05:39

This seems to be Qantas modus operandi.
If you use your frequent flyer points with them they will put you on their code share mates at THEIR convenience, not necessarily when you want to fly.
Chook19

PostPosted: 27 Oct 09 14:53

Unfortunately for many of us, it is not as simple as "just don't use Jetstar". Jetstar now provide the only direct service to a number of locations that used to have a QANTAS service.

And since all companies now have the cheek to charge you extra to make you spend 11 hours getting to your location via an indirect route rather than 5 hours on a direct flight, the cost of using alternatives have escalated above the extra you would have paid to have a QANTAS service. So I reluctantly use Jetstar when they provide the only option of a direct flight as my health precludes lengthy flights.

The problems of privatisation...
Melbourne-girl
I'm a NGE Premium Subscriber

PostPosted: 27 Oct 09 14:57

Quote: " Jetstar's target market is the simple battler who used to take the train or bus.

If that is not you, then you have no business trying to save a few dollars on aircraft not meant for you."

Are you for real? What a simpleton's answer.

Firstly Jetstar is owned by Qantas and its their local (Australia) service. Qantas doesnt fly local anymore unless its a via Sydney before heading O's. eusa_wall.gif
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: 1, 2  [Next >>]
Jump to: