Dick Smith: Returning faulty electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerra8977

PostPosted: 07 Jun 10 21:45
Post subject: Dick Smith: Returning faulty electronics

I had a bit of the same problem. But it was with a mobile hand set. It wouldn’t keep it’s charge I took it back in the 7 days to dick smith they replaced the battery not once but twice but it kept going flat in a day.. they refused to exchange the handset saying it is a pre-paid mobile phone and Telstra and Optus have set down polices that state you can’t exchange a pre-paid mobile phone,, so then I told them I wanted a refund,, they said "NO, it is our policy that we do not give refunds on pre-paid mobile phones, he said this is printed on your receipt... I contacted Optus as the phone was an Optus phone. I told them what dick smith had said the man at Optus had no idea of what I was talking about. He said at Optus they would class that as DOA and issue me with a new handset.. I then rang the accc to find out more before I rang dick smith again.. the accc informed me I'm quite within my right to have an exchange or refund .. I told him about the policy dick smith had told me that Optus and Telstra had put in place.. he informed me it doesn't matter what policies Telstra, Optus or dick smith have in place the law states if the item does not do what the box states it to do and it was not know to me at time of purchase then I'm entitled to a full refund or exchange under the law.. I said “ so I'm being bluffed” he said “yes you most certainly are”.I rang the dick smith store and told the manager I had rang Optus and the accc, I told him what they had informed me, and!! oh my god!!! they offered me the replacement and I said I would take a refund, he said "no worries!! come pick it up"... I picked it up today and went and bought a new phone else where.. I will never set foot in another dick smith again...

so all these polices shops have printed on there receipts and around their shops are bluffs.. if you think your being ripped off you most certainly are... go to the accc web site and learn you rights...
manfredh

PostPosted: 25 Nov 09 21:58

Heh, "warranty laws." There was as much accuracy in the explanation as there is in such laws existing...
kadee

PostPosted: 25 Nov 09 10:42

honey and vinegar applies not always but most times I find.
Incidium

PostPosted: 25 Nov 09 00:50

It's my understanding that this topic was brought up on the issue that someone's camera went faulty after a few weeks and they returned to the Dick Smith store with the expectation of a replacement, and also mentioned the PS3 (and someone brought up a laptop)

Under warranty laws, the retailer is NOT obligated to exchange or refund the faulty goods outside of the DOA (dead on arrival) period - usually 14 days, it varies between brands. Most people do not understand this - irrespective of whether you paid $150 for the camera or $2000 for the laptop, Dick Smith was not obligated to replace the product. They ARE obligated to offer a repair, and if it cannot be repaired, then it is to be replaced to the model with the closest specifications, and if that's not applicable, then a refund. Inside of the DOA period (and also in Dick Smith's 14 day change of mind policy), then they are required to replace the faulty product.

Generally the manufacturer will express to the retailer whether the initial warranty (1/2/3 years, again depending on brand) is an upfront replacement or repair. And as another poster said (sorry I've forgotten your name), sometimes the manufacturer prefers to deal with the customer one-on-one. That's especially the case with laptops (and Navman GPS's and HP printers I've found). It doesn't matter if you want/expect a replacement, more often than not the retailer has to return the product to the manufacturer for a repair (and you may find sometimes the retailer must do so as part of the agreement to sell the goods). It's at the manager's discretion to replace the goods outside of the DOA period.

Although I should point out that even if the manufacturer's warranty specifies that the customer has to approach the manufacturer regarding any warranty issues, the retailer still has the responsibility to deal with the issue. However you may find that going to direct to the manufacturer will result in quicker resolution to the issue. That's especially the case in mobile phones - once my Nokia went pow and Dick Smith sent it away to Nokia... 4 weeks it took! I went through Nokia the next time and barely a week.

My point is, people need to understand that "warranty" does not always mean "replacement". Which is why most cases taken to the court are thrown out.

Plus if you went to the store and gave the sales assistant attitude, then expect it in return. It sucks that the camera stuffed up, but if you went back to Dick Smith and harped on loudly about it, then do you really think the assistant is going to be pleasant? I've found that if I have to return a faulty electronic product, being nice to the assistant makes the whole process so much quicker.

My two cents, anyway.
computerflyer

PostPosted: 15 Oct 09 07:51

BigSue,

I simply quoted two posts that seemed to be at odds with each other...
Dilo

PostPosted: 14 Oct 09 10:54

I shopped at DSE yesterday for the last time ever. I prefer to buy my components at Jaycar, because they actually still care about selling electronic components, but Jaycar weren't close so I went to DSE. Worst service and display of knowledge ever!!

DSE are dumping electronics now, which makes me a little sad - it was a Dick Smith electonics kit I received when I was 11 which lead me to be an Electrical Engineer. Instead they are moving into the worst Chinese made consumer electronics on the planet!

I spoke to the manager of a seconds store once - someone who buys pallets of returned goods, reverse engineers them, fixes the design fault(s) and then resells them. He said China was capable of producing excellent product but not when they are forced to drop the pricing.

He told me initially DSE engineers will go to China and spec a new product. The Chinese source and design the product to spec and then DSE marketing goes over there and screws the price down. As a result the good design is broken and inferior product results.

Go to any seconds supplier and see how many DSE items are there - it was the majority for the one I'm talking about!!
BigSue

PostPosted: 21 Sep 08 18:31

Hi Computerflyer
I am sorry I don't understand your post. Below is the comment I was referring to
'So how long is AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE??? 1 day, 7 days, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 7 years. Believe it or not it's the minute you step out of the store.'
computerflyer

PostPosted: 14 Sep 08 12:37

BigSue wrote "cooyarpjm I am very suprised that at the advice you are saying you got from the Dept of Fair trade re: IPOD, that the retailer has no obligation after the buyer leaves premises."

cooyarpjm wrote "i was told buy the department manager at fair trading that in their eyes reasonable time to return a faulty item is 7 DAYS. other than that follow the manufacturers warranty instructions."
BigSue

PostPosted: 13 Sep 08 21:10

cooyarpjm I am very suprised that at the advice you are saying you got from the Dept of Fair trade re: IPOD, that the retailer has no obligation after the buyer leaves premises. Sorry to say if that was the information given the Dept has a huge issue with training of their advice line officers!
The statement is 100% incorrect, and could see you land in hot water if this is how you will apply the act
As for consulting the lawyers- so we assume that a large company policy is correct because we automatically believe they would have consulted a lawyer prior to deciding how to apply their policy & the act? The courts & tribunals of Australia would be empty if that was the reality..
Steve001

PostPosted: 08 Sep 08 20:03

Sorry but did you ask about the warranty when you bought the product? Lets look at GMC they recently sold a whole heap of crap pressure washers, WE all told people, I even recall stating "they are crap that we have to sell we dont want to sell but are obligated, they have a return to manufacturer warranty and you will more then likely have to return it." But despite me even saying they are cheap crap and it WILL self destruct people still purchased it?????
I know it probably wasnt the situation in your case but, its common knowledge Buyer beware find out everything first! even if you say ok so what happens if it craps itself ten mins after i walk out the door or 2 years on ??? If something has a 3 month to 20year warranty you dont just go cool and never think about it again, unfortunatly nothing is designed to last, nothings indestructable and its all made to a price to pay someone elses bills.
Unfortunetly you lucked out id say put the item on ebay and see what you can get, just remember to pass on your knowledge of the experience to others, we learn by experience best sometimes.
Better luck next time,
cooyarpjm

PostPosted: 07 Sep 08 08:01

Not sure what state you are from but as a Qlder it is all about AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE has the most relevance here. You talk about "company polocy" Do you not think that when making return polocies that Lawyers are not consulted??

So how long is AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE??? 1 day, 7 days, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, 7 years. Believe it or not it's the minute you step out of the store.

Having had to deal with a customer who demanded that thier IPOD be replaced after 4 months and dealing with Fair Trading in reguards to this, i was told buy the department manager at fair trading that in their eyes reasonable time to return a faulty item is 7 DAYS. other than that follow the manufacturers warranty instructions.
NGE

PostPosted: 01 Sep 08 00:34

A link to the ACCC website is located on the NGE homepage under Info Links/Helpful Websites.

The ACCC consumer section is comprehensive and easy to understand.
manfredh

PostPosted: 31 Aug 08 22:59

bro22,

No, customers do not "AGREE" to the warranty; that is something that is provided by the manufacturer in conjunction with the item. You'll note that some warranties even expressly state wording along the lines of "This warranty does not override your statutory rights" - as it is not permitted to. The two are quite separate things. As mentioned numerous times, this is all adequately described on either the fair trading or ACCC web sites.

BigSue has covered the rest of your response quite well, particularly in regards to their inaccurate claim that any action they took not being required by law.

As for people complaining, yes I think it's understandable when businesses like Dick Smith shirk the law and make false claims. I can only wonder at your last remarks implying a false situation that 1 in 50 cases from the consumer may be successful.

mwato,

DSE is part of the Woolworths group and my comment that you quoted flowed from the remark just before it that these issues are arising in stores that are part of the Woolworths group. On the whole, that group has dominance in its sectors.

Also, even though it is in consumer electronics Dick Smith is not a great match as it is targeting different products to Harvey Norman Electrical in that arena. Comparing a battery recharge kit with a plasma and hifi sound set-up will obviously have one with much larger sales than the other. Customers distinguish between the two and Dick Smith and Tandy have much smaller premises, and more of them, and attract the parts and batteries and so on clientele that would not think of going to HN for those pieces. Conversely, aside from a limited number of Powerhouse stores which are a more relevant match to HN, most shoppers heading to the latter would not be looking at Dick Smith; they don't have the showrooms, stock range or sales staff.
BigSue

PostPosted: 31 Aug 08 22:30

mwato79, sorry for not responding.
No I will not take this to 'headoffice' - where I assume this policy comes from. I assume that the managers in the store are fairly representing & applying their companies policy & application of the act- the other two incidents support this. Do I think the 'outcome' was Ok - yes in terms of a replacement product being supplied but not the behaviours or policy.
BigSue

PostPosted: 31 Aug 08 22:13

Last word, as Bro22 we seemed doomed to disagree on consumer law.Maybe someones else is prepared to take up the battle(NGE what about you clarifying this point about consumer rights).

The consumer in this instance was my teenage daughter. There was no 'goodwill' applied here, in fact a rather agressive & 'bullying' disregard of her rights. Only after I intervened was any offer made. This offer was made with a ' irrespective of any faults or problems with the replacement camera we will not offer you any exchange or refund' statement by the 'manager'. For the record the store offered no initial solution except telling my daughter to contact the manufacturer herself- when she again said that the camera was only purchased recently - she had the receipt - all packaging & could describe the fault. The sales person told her 'its your problem, not ours we don't take cameras back' ! ...
This is the same treatment the two other people I listed originally got from Dick Smith. ..
Goodwill - I don't think so. Poor Service - yes. Complain complain complain - you bet.
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4  [Next >>]
Jump to: