Cadbury: Cadbury chocolate bars reduce in size, not in price
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE

PostPosted: 24 May 09 15:16
Post subject: Cadbury: Cadbury chocolate bars reduce in size, not in price

Has anyone noticed that the Cadbury block of chocolate (plain) has reduced from 250g to 200g? Those of you who buy this probably didn't notice the difference, but you probably did notice the change in packaging. The bar has been changed from a foil wrapping to a thicker cardboard wrap, so it still looks the same size as all the other bars!

I bought one when i went shopping last week and only noticed the new packaging. It wasn't until I met up with a friend yesterday that he commented that the size of the product had gone down but they have not reduced the price!

I went back home and checked the product (I have been good and hadn't even opened it as yet!), and he was right, the size of the bar is 20% less.

Shame on you Cadbury for being so deceitful with your customers. Not only do you reduce the size and not make a comparable change in the prize, you also change the packaging so that the product still looks like its the same size.

Bad bad marketing.

NGE Member: saysdavid
Legless

PostPosted: 25 May 09 04:24

Oh don't single out Cadbury/Schweppes for your ire. Thins chips have decreased to 177g bags from 200g and so have many other products. Some products have just gone up in unit price, some have gone down in quantity and others have done both. Start making notes of cost/100g and see how much things change.
perryg

PostPosted: 25 May 09 06:51

Cadbury's have done this before with drinking chocolate. They're not the only offenders. Packets and tins and bottles decrease in size by 10cc here, 20 cc there and all the time the price stays the same before going up again.
romi18
I'm a NGE Premium Subscriber

PostPosted: 25 May 09 07:27

And I have just noticed that my regular size Mars Bar has just gone on a diet, shrinking to 53 grams.

While they are doing me a favour by making them smaller, and reducing my calories, I would appreciate an equally reduced price. Not only hasn't the price of a Mars bar shrunk, it has gone UP at my local Coles store!

It's blatant theft!
mdibari

PostPosted: 25 May 09 08:47

I don't know why you all sound so surprised, this is how they all do it. Whenever you see a change in packaging you can bet there has been a price increase. Bring on unit pricing!
Olga2930

PostPosted: 25 May 09 09:05

I wrote to Cadbury about this very shifty behaviour & received a generic reply stating that this is what customers want. They couldnt be further from mark! Luckily there is enough competition that I can buy other chocolate bars who havent done a shifty yet....eg Lindt was on special at woollies last week 125g for $1.99 .
perryg

PostPosted: 25 May 09 09:08

I bought the Lindt bar yesterday (Orange Intense - very yummy) instead of Cadbury's.
stormjr

PostPosted: 25 May 09 09:29

All company's do this! When the truck drivers want a pay rise, who pays? When fuel goes up who pays? When raw product to make the final product goes up, who pays? It's simple, same price less product, or up the price for same product! Just look at beer, tax goes up, alcohol content comes down to offset the tax!
Periwinkle

PostPosted: 25 May 09 09:32

Cadbury did actually run advertising in the weeks before the change to notify the public.
What gets my goat is that I've heard the company has added vegetable oil to the chocolate which they claim "makes the chocolate softer" however, I've read quite a few complaints that this has changed the taste of the chocolate.
I can't speak for myself as I haven't tried the new version, but if it's true and the taste has changed,there will be a backlash.
I can't stand companies that use the line "It's what our customers want" when clearly, not one person would agree.
I'll be buying a block today just to see.
ezri

PostPosted: 25 May 09 13:16

I'm not happy, especially with the change to the recipe. They have added vegetable fat.

what I want to know is- is this palm oil, or hydrogenated oil? ie trans fats? which most other companies are experiencing backlashes to have removed from their products?

Does anyone know for sure.

I'll stop buying it, I bought any of the old blocks I could find and yesterday bought an old big block, still at my local bigW for 4.68 for 400g. (apparently they'll shrink to 350g)
Vogelaus

PostPosted: 25 May 09 13:36

This now seems to be common practice especially with the multinational owned food companies who are in IMO very poor corporate citizens.

Our family, friends and acquaintances now boycott companies that reduce the size of their products. It is heading towards the day when the packaging may cost more than the contents. This practice is usually signalled by changed packaging design to distract the customer from the reduced contents.

This can only be interpreted as increasing price/profits by stealth.

It seem companies rely on customers being too apathetic to notice the reduction in contents with the “new” packaging?

One company insulted our intelligence by claiming people are demanding smaller sizes.

This family looks for larger sizes that offer better value for money with the bonus of less packaging.

When consumers are being asked to be environmentally friendly, I find it unacceptable that manufacturers are reducing content that in turn requires more packaging.

Whatever happend to the days when you could buy biscuits in large amounts than 160/200gms, chocolate in 250 & 500gm bars, salad dressing larger than 300ml, etc, etc.

Comanies that we boycott and who are masters at this practice include Arnott Biscuits, Kraft, Nestle, Bundaberg, Cadbury/Schweppes/Cottee, Smiths snack Foods, Sorbent Tissues, Mars, etc

If you see new packaging on your favourite product check the contents, in all probability the contents will be less with no reduction in price! Recent examples; Cadbury, Mars and Nestle Chocolate bars, Twisties, Sorbent Tissues, etc.

The most blatant one from Cadbury/Cottees was Maple syrup down from 680gm to 400gm.

We now shop mostly at Aldi to avoid these companies products.
nikiyaki

PostPosted: 25 May 09 16:15

It's simplistic to claim this is an effort to increase profits margins. We all know inflation is silently working on our economy every day and fuel has become a major increase in expenditure - do you think Cadbury and other companies do not feel the effects of increased prices for base goods, do not have to continually increase their worker's wages to combat inflation. Do you expect prices and sizes of goods to stay the same forever? Should we still be able to buy a bottle of soda for 10 cents? This is such small-minded, short-sighted whinging by people who will say "In my day.." some years from now while everyone else patiently tries to avoid getting annoyed at someone who cannot understand basic economic and social concepts.
perryg

PostPosted: 25 May 09 16:25

Costs haven't increased for the supplier.

And the last time prices went up because of rising petrol prices, they stayed up even after petrol prices came down again.
saysdavid

PostPosted: 25 May 09 16:27

nikiyaki - i take your point, but im not sure you're getting ours.

The complaint is not that prices go up, because we all know they do, and thankfully Im still young enough to not have to say "I remember when..."

The complaint is moreso on a deliberate change in packaging to take away from the fact that they are reducing product size. If a product is more expensive to make, then raise the price.

And it's probably a bit naive to think that the change in product size is not about profit, all food manufacturing is about profit! A number of food companies have been hauled over the coals for this- recently this was seen with canned goods where reducing the size by 10 or 15grams does not make a visible difference to the consumer, but raises profits by millions.

Im also patiently trying to not getting annoyed at someone who doesn't understand basic product marketing principles :)
manfredh

PostPosted: 25 May 09 19:57

Further nikiyaki, it's the scale of the change.

People _are_ used to price rises, just like salary increases and so on. They're typically in the order of 5%. Thus, if the price was $3.99, it might become $4.20. And never fear, Cadbury's chocolate is actually a few dollars, not just "10c."

However, the magnitude of this is out of scale. The 20% loss converts to a 25% increase. Thus, it's like the price has gone up from $3.99 to $4.99. That's way out of proportion from the cost of living increases and, as ever, people are entitled to ask what they are getting for that massive extra charge.
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: 1, 2, 3  [Next >>]
Jump to: