Godfreys: Godfreys Wertheim - What a DUD !!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veejay74

PostPosted: 02 Mar 11 15:38
Post subject: Godfreys: Godfreys Wertheim - What a DUD !!

I purchased a Wertheim 3030T about a year ago, from Godfreys in Bunbury WA. My brief to the salesman was that I wanted something reliable and effective, regardless of brand name, that would last the distance and represent value for money. He gave me an excellent in shop demo and sold me the vac for around $800. What a con!! A few months ago the power head has started cutting out each and every time I use it, after about a minute's operation. I can only use it with the upholstery and window-track fittings - hardly sufficient to do my whole house's carpets! After Googling 'problems with Wertheim' and 'Wertheim sucks', my worst fears have been confirmed, it seems I have purchased a lemon. I will never, ever again buy a Wertheim NOR shop from Godfreys ever again and will actively tell all my family, friends and anyone who will care to listen in person, online on Facebook & web forums, about my experiences and what I have found online. Is there any way to take these companies to task through consumer affairs for misleading marketing or for supply of a faulty product unable to live up to its sales pitch? What a dud!
whereistheservicegone

PostPosted: 18 Feb 11 10:16

I feel for the people that have purchased from Godfrey's, besides the dodgy products they sell, their customer service is the BIGGEST let down of all, I had the need to purchase an elbow for a Miele dog & cat 636 Vacuum cleaner (brilliant product by the way)It's nearly 10 years old and is still going strong. I went into my local store to inquire if
a)they had it in stock or
b) could they get it in for me. I was told that no they didn't have it but would order it for me the next day (Monday) and then have it in the same week (Thursday), the sales assistant took my details and said he would call on Thursday when the order arrived, I received no call so waited till the following Thursday & called the store, the same sales assistant told me he had got one in but wasn't sure if it was mine and would call me back....you guessed it NO CALL.....
I called another store in Brisbane the same day & spoke to a rather dis-interested man that said "yes, he had them in stock @$33.00, he had to keep them in stock as they always broke" (obviously Godfrey's doesn't OWN the brand Miele) I went in to an empty store besides the dis-interested salesman, said hello, he replied after a few seconds with out even looking up from the paperwork he was perusing!!! I told him I was there for the elbow, he then wanted to charge me $69.00!!!! telling me Miele had increased their prices! On NEW stock maybe, but this was stock he had in-store! I insisted I pay the $33.00 quoted and he obliged begrudgingly, then proceeded to tell me I could have purchased an after market product for $14.95. What is wrong with Godfrey's? they have to be some of the worst sales people I have had the misfortune to deal with....I will be shopping online in future for any parts I may need, Keeping in mind that is the first time i have had to spend money on this cleaner besides bags in over 9 years so I am very happy with the Miele product and have/would recommend it to any one that has a pet. I would however recommend that they make the purchase at another reputable outlet avoiding Godfrey's at all costs.
hatejunk

PostPosted: 23 Jan 11 09:37

Hi All
The biggest problem with many portable vacuum dealers is that they present their cheap and nasty products made in China as being the original thing ... the same quality when the product came out of the USa or Europe. Hoover name ids owned by godfreys who lable thier cheap and nasty products Hoover, but they are simple cheap and nasty ones made in China and are not worth the money. Bwewn there, got caught and no will only buy Europeqan or USA manufactured ones. Even the Dysan is claimed to be a good product. Not so, check the accessories, exposure to the ducts, low capacity drums etc. Best to check out something like and Miele ... and they can give you the difinive reason as to why ALL vacuum cleaners should be bagged... and not bagless. /they are a leading world appliance manufacturer who only use bags in their vacuumes ... so check out why they do not make a bagless machine.

The Wietherm is the same ... european name, but just real rubbish. There are many others out there who do the same .. Bissel carpet cleaner ... just cheap rubbish.
so if you want a good product, look at where it is made and be prepared to pay more for qulaity.
supermoto

PostPosted: 29 Oct 10 11:15

Werhiem vacuum cleaners are trash. Expensive boat anchors. Bought ours from Godawefulreys and its been back twice already. The scutiuon head just stops working. And the staff at Nailsworth Godawefulreys are none too happy to help. Ive learnt 2 things. Do not buy a Werhiem again and certainly not from Godawefulreys.
DG58

PostPosted: 31 Jul 10 13:55

It doesn't matter where you go as long as you're happy with the deal. We have a Dyson and we're very happy, you just can' go wrong as Dyson looks after you should anything go wrong
hemel

PostPosted: 31 Jul 10 13:36

I'm so glad I read all these posts, as I am just about to by a new vacuum.
Godfreys always seem to be leader in this field, now I dont know where to go for a good deal.
Webbey

PostPosted: 20 Jul 10 21:35

I also bought one of these big ticket Wertheim vacs from Gawdfreys about 6 or 7 years ago. Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to call it a dud, I would however say that it does the job of any vac about a quarter of it's price. Like paying a Porsche price for a Toyota Camry. Given what user "daneeir" has mentioned below, I don't think I'll bother to step into a Gawdfrey store the next time I'm in the market for a vac.
4th class citizen

PostPosted: 18 Jul 10 17:04

Looks then that I have been lucky to date - got a Wertheim and paid around $750 for it - was is a dearer model which should have got but - had had an Electrolux cost $500 for 20 years so thought $750 sounded cheap.

Power head was faulty and it wouldn't come off first time and Godfrey's changed it for me straight away with a parts and head from new model in stock as I wasn't going to wait for spare parts and told them so.

It does a magnificent job - I have German shepherds who live in and out of the house with their own entrance and dog hair is a bit of a problem. This machine sucks it up and the carpets - well first time we did them - looked like they had been cleaned and realized the old cleaner had been struggling too long.

Only had it just on a year but still going - bagless and we just have to empty the container so no worries except the number of times it fills up with dog hair - it goes until the hoses are full of hair and then stops and empty it and off it goes again.

I do agree that lemon laws are needed in Australia for all these things would keep the manufacturers on the ball - particularly with cars been lucky there but then am a Ford Man. icon_biggrin.gif
scarlet_gal

PostPosted: 15 Jul 10 14:04

Ouch! I so wished I had discovered this discussion before now. Have been completely sucked in by the Godfrey's spiels on Wertheim. Have spent large sums of money and there's just one problem after another. When it works it's great, but we've had so many problems needing extra expenditure. Previously owned a Dyson and wasn't overly happy with that one either - plastic bits tended to break and it was hard to store.
White Elephant

PostPosted: 13 May 10 23:48

I couldn't believe how many people like myself got talked into this Wertheim junk, we paid about 1200 and like all the others had only trouble from day one. It's noisy, the bags are overpriced and need to be replaced only 1/2 full because the suction is non existent. It's overheating after about 5 Minutes may be even less. The 'washable' airfilter shouldn't get wet and so on, the staff is telling me that this is the top of the range, but may be I should have asked what range they are talking about, since it's the top of the range in lemons for price and value that's for sure. I would have thrown it in the bin if it wouldn't have cost that much already. Also the 5 year warranty we got was only for the motor but of course whatever goes wrong is never the motor. They know exactly that people will pay for the overpriced junk to be repaired because it's too expensive to throw in the rubbish where it belongs together with Godfreys.
daneelr

PostPosted: 25 Mar 10 15:00

Hi,

Ex employee here but I wont be telling you anything that can't be figured out with a little digging. Godfreys own the brand Wertheim, Hoover, Ivac and Pullman in Australia. They make or get made for them 100% of the the products under these brand names. The reason the salesman/managers/franchisees want you to buy these brands is that they make the most money / commission on them. To give you an idea of the profit margain on some vacuums they can make 1000%(not a typo). The company was bought out by Private Equity in 2007 and I they aren't doing as well as previous years although some of that will have to do with the economy. This and many other reasons is why I left.
tsm0836

PostPosted: 12 Mar 10 22:44

Oh I wish had read these gripes before buying my Wertheim. Specifically stated to salesman my requirements biggest con ever. I now have a cheap $45 vacumn cleaner bought in frustration from Woolies. Does a better job than my expensive $600 + lemon.
brucetiki

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 11:44

I can add another anti-Godfreys/Wertheim story.

About 12 years ago (under Godfrey's previous name of Ausvac), Dad went to Ausvac looking for a Vax (he wanted a shampoo/vacuum combo cleaner). The sales person recommended a Wertheim, claiming it was a new market leader in shampoo/vacuum combo cleaners (and triple the price of a Vax). In the first 12 months, the contraption spent more time at Ausvac getting repaired than at home being used. One day, when we were moving house, we wanted to shampoo the carpets - and of course it didn't work. So Dad went into Ausvac and when he was finished 6 customers had walked out of the store (sadly the issue was never fixed and we pretty much ended up with a very expensive, unreliable vacuum).

Sounds like Ausvac/Godfreys and Wertheim have not learnt their lessons.
bevc75

PostPosted: 15 Jan 10 09:53

I've got a Wertheim from Godfreys and I have had so much trouble with it. I agree - it is a piece of rubbish!!

I spent about $800 on this vacuum cleaner - and after using it a couple of times the bulb on the head blew. I took it back and they fixed it.

I've the vacuum for nearly 5 years now and I have changed the power head 3 times and changed the hose 4 times... and spent at least $100 each time.

I took it for a service end of Oct 09 as the powerhead kept turning off when I vacuumed. Godfrey's service area couldn't find the problem with the powerhead but replaced it with a new hose. In Dec 09 the powerhead and hose no longer turns on.

I was going to go in today and complain and get a new vacuum cleaner. But after reading the posts on this thread I think I will go somewhere else and not bother with Godfreys.
geoffs

PostPosted: 23 Dec 09 22:12

You can add me to the list - spent $1100 on this piece of junk. Have paid for 1 new tube and been given one out of pity already - pins burnt out through bad connection. It's just a lousy design. Light went out in powerhead and guess what ... it's not the bulb ... the 12 volt feed for the light in the head "supposedly" comes from the transformer powering the head ... but because the head still works they won't replace it. Crap vacuum, crap service and I got conned because of a newborn baby and a Current Affair saying they filtered the air the best! I should have stuck with my old faithful Hoover upright (could have purchased a near top of range Hoover for 1/2 the price!)
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: [<< Previous]  1, 2, 3, 4  [Next >>]
Jump to: