Metricon Homes: Nothing metric about! them Just a metric con
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NGE

PostPosted: 18 Jul 09 17:25
Post subject: Metricon Homes: Nothing metric about! them Just a metric con

With excitment and relief to have gone through the building process easily we finally move into our new home. We were initially surprised at how quickly the handover was but at that time the excitment of the new home inspired hope and dreams until the reality sank in. All the months/years and efforts of saving, planning and overtime at the office to accomplish our dream home was shattered by the non metric builder. Now after months of post construction issues and a maintenance agreement that has dragged on over several months we are extremely disappointed in the builder that promises to service customers needs with the additional promise of high quality. Purely by the evidence we witness everyday. Joints aren't square, walls are straight and more importantly nobody seems to want to take responsibility or be held accountable for any of the issues that arise however they are willing to provide bandaid solutions to any problems. We realise that nothing could possibly be 100% accurate but wish they had tried even just a little.

NGE Member: Mooloo
rx8

PostPosted: 20 Jul 09 08:06

The chances of getting 'Square Corners" on inside walls is very rare in new homes, this is nothing new, learn to live with it.
Lea

PostPosted: 20 Jul 09 08:57

Mooloo - If you're in Qld you can contact the QBSA (they are the government run organisation that grant licenses in Qld to builders) They are there to protect both the builder and the customer. Contact them or the equivalent authority in your state to help get things resolved.
Ad_Rex

PostPosted: 20 Jul 09 09:22

Sadly this is pretty typical of many home builders (and trades in general) these days.
In my view there are two causes;
1)- The guy that sells you the contract is the front man for the company, a salesman, he makes promises & shows you display homes that have nothing to do with the people that do the work. The bloke with the licence number that your home is built under probably never even lifts a tool on the job. The bulk of the work is farmed out to sub-contractors who may then farm it out themselves to inexperienced or unlicenced labourers. This is how the 'builder' fobs you off, the work was never actually done by him, it's someone elses fault...
2)- As we all demand the cheapest prices builders race to the bottom on price & something has to give. That will almost always be quality and tradesman like work.
Lea

PostPosted: 20 Jul 09 09:31

Ad_Rex regardless of who builds your home, there are Australian standards that must be obtained, if they aren't, as the owner you are entitled to have those things fixed. The best piece of advice I could ever give anyone when it comes to buying or building anything, get personal references if you can. If you have a builder in mind, go around building sites, see how they work, see if you can talk to someone who recently had a house built by the builder you're thinking of using, ask them questions. Yes it will take time but at the end of the day, it's your money, your future and you need to make sure you're choosing the right builder for you.
desm

PostPosted: 20 Jul 09 16:41

Whilst I sympathise with your problems and some builders are better than others. You need to be aware that building a house is not the same as say making a picture frame or a piece of furniture. Whilst things should give the visual appearance of being square etc there are many factors which conspire to make this difficult such as slightly uneven foundations or floor slab, timber is rarely perfectly straight etc. However having said that there is an Australian Standard which sets out the acceptable tolerances in housing construction. Either get your self a copy or if you aren't suitably experienced of qualified employ someone who is, do you have a builder friend perhaps? It's very difficult for someone inexperienced in house building to make a critical assessment of what's right and what's wrong. Getting upset because of what you perceive as wrong is only diminishing what should be a happy experience so get some professional advice before you possibly incorrectly dislike the house!
cassacas

PostPosted: 22 Jul 09 21:11

NGE, I am in the process of building with Metricon and as is the case with all commercial large builders thier aim is to get them up as quickly as possilble and this is always going to cause problems.

The best solution is to employ an external quantity surveyor, they charge about $400 - $600 per inspection, but the come out at every stage (slab, frame, fixing, etc) and provide full reports on any structual and non contractual errors the builders need to fix ebfore continuing to build

we are at lock up less then 8 weeks of the commencing building, our surveyor was out on Friday and found about 30 errors that need to be fixed before plaster should commence although they are minor, we have told our SS on the phone and in writting that he is to not continue with plaster until the errors are corrected and he has accpeted and agreed

anyone building a new house with no matter what builder should have a quantity surveyor, every commercial builder has a horror story, not just Metricon.
tomo49

PostPosted: 25 Jul 09 17:38

I feel sorry for you....I had the same experience with "Glenwood Homes" when I was in Darwin and they simply walked out of Darwin and left all their warranty work behind them and went back to Cairns with their tail between their legs.....It cost me $1500 to have the outside of my house scraped and repainted as the idiots had applied the painted before the concrete bagging had dried properly and consequently over a few months the paint began to sag and run down the wall....The lesson to be learnt here is NEVER employ a builder who uses sub contractors as they just don't care and it is too difficult to get them back to redo lousy work...instead use a builder who will build the house himself with his permanent staff and pride will help get a good result
stevets

PostPosted: 13 Aug 09 22:13

Metricon Homes have a reputation of being shoddy & taking short cuts & then they fight you in court. I knew a person where her 2 storey town house was built without a damp course & no flashing on any of the windows. There were other issues but I cannot recall all of them She got experts to do reports at her expense but Metricon basically ignored these & the only way was to go to court. With limited resourses what can you do? And they bank on this response. My recommendation would be not to deal with them in any way without an iron clad contract which dictates precisely what & when they do so that if they faal behind or fail stiff penalties apply. But they would never agree to this type of contract.
had-to-be-exposed

PostPosted: 20 Dec 09 15:49

Hi everyone, first of all I like to say hello and contribute if possible to the gripe about Metricon Homes.

I've never been a client of theirs and I never will be, after the way in which they conduct themselves. I'm talking about the houses being built in the corridor between Brisbane and Gold Coast.

My experience is different from most of you, as I was subcontracting the Wall and Floor tiling direct from the main Wall and Floor Tiling contractor (paying a percentage to get the work).

There are at least three "super"visors or site managers that you can hardly understand how 1. They got the job and 2. How they keep it. Perhaps thats the way Manangement from Metricon wants it.
I ended up refusing to work on their houses because of the dirt and contamination on the surfaces that were to be tiled and the even more frequent poor installation of the waterproofing.
I have several photos available from different job sites, ranging from the concrete levels sloping the wrong way in wet areas (Metricon do not want screeding to be levelled up correctly), to areas completely contaminated with paint sprayed on the surfaces to be tiled and Metricon and the main tiling contractor call this READY FOR TILING!
In some houses the waterproofing was broken down and both the site manager and the tiling contractor agree to: JUST TILE IT.
I won't forget to mention the several attempts from these supervisors asking to do work for free. That means mending and making good previous tradesman's bad workmanship, which in terms just shows a complete lack of care by Metricon employees. One of these so called "supervisors", you're lucky to see him once in 8-10 days as he doesn't bother to show up.
And if you think that they'll answer your calls..... forget it. If they don't answer tradesman's calls, they probably won't answer yours either.
had-to-be-exposed

PostPosted: 20 Dec 09 16:51

Hi Tomo49.
I would like to point out a couple of things regarding your experience with sub-contractors.

You need to know that most building supervisors put every possible tradesman, on top of each other. REGARDLESS whether their respective jobs are compatible or not with each other, at the same time. More often than not, you'll find a few "painters" doing their thing while the "tilers" are trying to keep SAFE the wet tiles just laid while the Fixers (carpenters), electricians, plasterers, roof insulators, kitchen cabinet installers, PC deliveries, etc have a job to do too on the same day at the same place. By the way, most of these subbies, if not all are getting paid the same rates as 20 YEARS AGO - Is the house the same price as 20 years ago??
Most likely the supervisor said to each and every subby, "HURRY UP, be onsite the job is ready, the house has to be finished". When the tradesman gets onsite, the job is not actually ready and it's the third or fourth day in a row that he has been ready to start, but the trade before is not finished yet. And for the subby, it's another day with travelling expenses, no work and no pay, but guess what?? THE JOB IS READY!!
And builders who actually do the physical work themselves (other than making phone calls) are as rare as hen's teeth.
Let me tell you that two weeks ago, I worked on a building site that the builder doesn't even supply a rubbish bin. So while being inducted to the site, we are seriously informed that we have to take home daily any rubbish, dirty water, left over of plaster, timber skirtings, tiles, you just name it . Yes, in 2009.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomo49 said:
I feel sorry for you....I had the same experience with "Glenwood Homes" when I was in Darwin and they simply walked out of Darwin and left all their warranty work behind them and went back to Cairns with their tail between their legs.....It cost me $1500 to have the outside of my house scraped and repainted as the idiots had applied the painted before the concrete bagging had dried properly and consequently over a few months the paint began to sag and run down the wall....The lesson to be learnt here is NEVER employ a builder who uses sub contractors as they just don't care and it is too difficult to get them back to redo lousy work...instead use a builder who will build the house himself with his permanent staff and pride will help get a good

Posted: 25 Jul 09 17:38
had-to-be-exposed

PostPosted: 20 Dec 09 17:28

Hi Lea.

I would like to add something about the BSA in Queensland.

For the BSA employees to show any interest at all, the complaints have to come direct from the homeowner, nobody else will be listened to. The builder can in a very confortable way do incorrect or substandard work, which can seriously compromise and or effect a later trade, and the BSA's answer (as I had), sorry, we are not interested if you are not the homeowner.

A tradesman could hold (pay for) a license, the BSA happily will accept the money for it, but when a builder and their shonky supervisors deliberately put the integrity of quality work of a tradesman at risk, they simply are not interested when informed about it. GREAT ! and best of all, USEFUL for a tradesman trying to work by Australian Standards as it should be.

In terms, you can see something really nasty (substandard and incorrect), which could compromise your work if you go ahead with the job, but as a tradesman, don't bother to tell either the builder or it's supervisor or it's main contractor or the BSA because none care. The builder/supervisor will simply say, "if you don't want to do it, I'll get someone who will", the main contractor will say the same as the builder/supervisor and the BSA tells you "if you're not the homeowner, we're not interested".

Lea

Posted: 20 Jul 09 08:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mooloo - If you're in Qld you can contact the QBSA (they are the government run organisation that grant licenses in Qld to builders) They are there to protect both the builder and the customer. Contact them or the equivalent authority in your state to help get things resolved.
Milton Lex

PostPosted: 12 Nov 10 19:07

We built with Metricon several years ago and learnt from early on not to trust them. We posted here several years ago about our hell of an experiance we went through. To no surprise nothing has changed with their lack of service. We have had a portico leak about 4 times and each time it takes 2-3months of communication to even get someone to respond, let alone fix it (and guess what, its leaking again). To anyone who is building a house, get an independant inspector at each stage and do your homework to better educate yourself about what is right and wrong. Stick up for that you believe is right. A couple of grand is worth it with the amount of defects that were picked up...
brookrenwick

PostPosted: 13 Nov 10 18:09

Did you know that a draftsperson can do the same work as an architect but for a lot less and that there are only 53 licenced draftspersons in the whole of South East QLD due to a red tape. QLD is the only state where a drafting licence is required.
I once worked for a project / kit home builder and the timber above the windows called lintels had to be soft pine because it was cheaper and the boss could keep driving his BMW. All the engineers I have worked for refuse to use soft pine above the windows because it is an inferior quality and over time the windows will not close properly.
the money pit

PostPosted: 06 Jan 11 23:43

We built the Tribecca 40 with $100k in extras with Metricon 3yrs ago in Melbourneís western suburbs; whilst the contract making was a nightmare (I officially have 10 plans and 100 variations). We consider that was a play in the park compared to the building and post settlement repairs, the maintenance crew and I are on first name basis, and I even know how many sugars they take in their coffee. They regularly present themselves here approximately every three months to do so called repairs, so called because they are ghastly and worse than the fault, this now makes us highly reluctant to call them. Whilst I understand that nothing is perfect, and the house is double story and large, it is frustrating and disheartening when you have an understanding that mistakes happen, but the errors of this home goes into the hundreds and continually grows on a daily basis. Then to add further insult, it is infuriating when you allocate days off work to have only a quarter of the existing and acknowledged repairs attempted, and to have to repeat the process consistently due to the inferior quality, unfinished and unsupervised repairs. Add to that the time sending emails and making phone calls to Metricon in an attempt to gain their attention. An example of a Metricon solution: We asked the supervisor and his manager to inspect a failed repair of the garage (a silver strip siliconed with a few small screws directly into the slab of the garage floor to prevent the flooding), the manager looked at garage floor and saw the tyre marks to the husbands Patrol 4wd and trailer and asked if he puts them in the garage. When we answered yes to the question, the manager kindly asked us not to because the strip couldnít hold up to the weight. The husband replied ďIím sorry I mistook that the garage was for cars, tomorrow Iíll park it in the kitchenĒ. We donít think that we asked for the impossible, build us a beautiful house and project manage that house, that is why we didnít mind paying an inflated price for the privilege of a knowledgeable builder, Metricon didnít argue when it came to taking the money, but the goods fell truly short of the mark and they are fighting to make us weary and for us to pay the thousands of dollars to bring this house into par. This I will probably do however; not before I open this house to the public for free inspection of the true quality of their workmanship. eusa_wall.gif eusa_wall.gif
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: 1, 2  [Next >>]
Jump to: