Any experience with amaysim mobile?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
computerflyer

PostPosted: 19 Dec 10 14:40
Post subject: Any experience with amaysim mobile?

Hi, Anyone have any experiences with amaysim mobile yet? Their simple and cost effective rates look pretty good for the light to moderate user. Tempting in fact :-)

Cheers,
Jonmac22

PostPosted: 20 Dec 10 20:40

I just purchased an Amaysim sim card and $10.00 credit voucher which is automatically increased buy $5.00 to $15.00.
When I was signing up on the Amaysim website I had a small problem with the voucher number, I rang Amaysim and was answered by a very polite and helpful gentleman who fixed the problem in 15 minutes and added another $5.00 to my account. At 15c a minute with no flagfall this is good value. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif
jennylin
I'm a NGE Premium Subscriber

PostPosted: 20 Dec 10 21:02

I purchased a $2 Sim pack 2 days ago from Harvey Norman and have been thoroughly impressed with everything about the service so far and how easy it was to set up.
I activated my SIM online and got a choice of number. They all start with either 0435 or 0466.
I purchased $15 credit(minimum for online)and got the $5 extra bonus. I used a credit card, unfortunately they don't have Paypal. You can do Bpay or bank tfr but you won't get the credit straight away. The amount of outlets where you can purchase recharge vouchers is extensive at www.(DELETED)
Your credit only expires after 90 days if you don't top up. If you top up, whatever your bal is at the time plus your top up amount is then current for a further 90days.
Amaysim uses the Optus 3G Network, but I am just using an old GSM handset I had in the cupboard and it's working like a charm in Kingaroy.
I have rung Customer Service twice with misc questions and have been answered promptly by a real and very polite person.
I've made several calls and love the whole thing. Best thing I've done in ages. eusa_clap.gif icon_biggrin.gif
jennylin

PostPosted: 20 Dec 10 21:19

Oh, and I can also login to My Account online and view My Usage History. icon_wink.gif
peterlonz

PostPosted: 21 Dec 10 15:08

I have no direct experience, however I do watch their ridiculous "tell you nothing" ads on TV.
It's very pleasing to see positive messages of genuine service & performance here.
Of course you do end up having to manage another mob ph no, or a second mob ph no, which is quite a decision for those in business.
sharofa

PostPosted: 30 Dec 10 13:39

I just verifeit my first sim and I keeped my old number, same will happen with my hubbis phone, so you don't have to handle a new one again
computerflyer

PostPosted: 05 Jan 11 19:47

I moved my mobile number from Virgin to amaysim this morning. I hit the activate/port button at 08:30 and about 16:45 it was done. My Virgin SIM worked until a few minutes before the change.

amaysim's website is functional and responsive for the things you want to do - check use, balances, top up, etc. It is light on how to, and one must look for things and accept its relative sparsity. The search is useful since there is no "customer manual" I could find.

I made a lot of email enquiries to their service@ before deciding to try them. They were always answered quickly - a good on-line email response group, so far.

Since Virgin and amaysim both use Optus there is no difference in quality of service. I am a light user. Virgin's 2010 price increase reinforced I am not a valuable (read really profitable) customer. I will pay amaysim the same or less, for about 8~10 times the airtime or more than twice the number of SMS, over any 6 months period. Maybe I should ask Gerry Harvey and his retail cohorts if this could be because of unfair GST treatment? icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif
inkspot

PostPosted: 27 Jan 11 20:18

I am so fed up with vodafone i purchased a $2 amaysim and set it up on the web site with a new number and some credit all on air within the hour. i talked with customer service quick to answer and a pleasure to deal with. the plan is simple cheep, the web site and customer service is good. i will be swapping the other phones soon.
computerflyer

PostPosted: 17 Apr 11 08:07

My partner decided to switch from 3 to amaysim based on my good experience. Porting the number took 5 minutes.

She contacted amaysim a few times with various questions and got people who listened to questions and answered them. They have not lost any of their edge so far. They deserve success. The big telcos would do well contracting amaysim to train their own staff in customer service!
jennylin

PostPosted: 19 Apr 11 20:47

i have now had amaysim for 4mths and extremely happy with it. i orig used an old gsm handset (2G) which worked fine in town (kingaroy) - I didn't test the coverage out of town. I have now purchased an unlocked 3G dual band handset (3G 900/2100 bandwidth). I kept my old Telstra NextG prepaid phone active (3G 850 bandwidth), and have noticed the coverage along the highway between Kingaroy and Brisbane is better with Telstra, although there are areas where no reception is available with either bandwidth - e.g. around the Blackbutt area icon_biggrin.gif eusa_clap.gif . It is a pain to keep two handsets active, but the benefits of Amaysim more than make up for it.
Littleyoungme

PostPosted: 19 Apr 11 23:01

I also bought an amaysim, $2 and 5 minutes latter I was connected on prepaid. the question is should I stay prepaid or go postpaid? which is better?

a few years ago I was connected with dingoblue, remember this phone co? they were fairly cheap at the time and used to give $30 for you and your friend if you brought a friend, I brought so many friends that I never paid for my phone usage, after a while they went belly up, I just hope that it doesn't happen to amaysim.
jumpstart

PostPosted: 20 Apr 11 06:26

I bought a prepaid for $2 and then connected via the net (bringing my old number with me).

Had a little trouble initially when my credit card details were rejected on the net, but upon phoning their help desk, they said all was ok and I had been connected as post-paid.

That was over 2 months ago and they still have not billed me as I have not amassed a total of $15 in call charges.

They have emailed me each month advising that they will bill me when I have a total of $15 worth of calls.

Totally satisfied (and saving a heap on the $30 a month plan I had with my previous telco).
gourmet ross

PostPosted: 20 Apr 11 09:23

Yes, I am with Amaysim, just need to watch out with the data pack, if you do not tick auto renew, it switches over to 5 cents per meg and most phones update every 15 to thirty minutes, so it can cost you heaps if you are not vigilant.
Prices are good and so far, so is the service. Unused data rolls over if you have auto renew.
Highly reccomended
Merlot

PostPosted: 17 May 11 17:34

I have had terrible service from Amaysim with roaming to NZ. Despite pre-registring for this service it took 3 days of Emails to get connected and then it only lasted i day. Useless.
Krusty

PostPosted: 30 Apr 12 10:08

As others here have said Amaysim does seem to be the cheapest option. I have had two SIMs for many years with Vodafone on an old “No Plan” plan whereby there is no monthly fees, so for a small (miniscule) user these were fine as my only obligation was to make one call in a year.

I thought these were great, but in hindsight not so great as the call costs (unknown) would have been very expensive. The plan is so old even Vodafone can’t tell me the costs but at a guess it would be a minimum 45¢ flag fall & 99¢ per minute. This compared to Amaysim at no flag fall & 15¢ a minute is very expensive.

Having gone with Amaysim post-paid it would appear that there is still no ongoing monthly fee so I’m far better off. I am about to buy another Amaysim SIM pack & transfer my original number as it’s a “Gold” number (easy to remember).

I changed more so because I bought a smart phone that required data to function fully (Nokia with GPS mapping). Although not vital it does provide added features if data in available. At 5¢ a megabyte it seems an insignificant “extra”.

The one WARNING to be aware of though is how data is calculated! Whilst it’s explained (in the fine print) data is charged at 1MB blocks, this has the down side where even a minimal data download is “rounded out” at 1MB. As I went with the first month as “unlimited” at $39.95 to experiment this isn’t (as yet) a problem as the plan includes 4GB of data. I will drop the unlimited next month.

Checking my usage on-line the data blows the usage way over the “actual” data used. In just one hour of “experimenting” the phones log shows actual data was around 16MB but because of this 1MB block the on-line shows 43MB. This occurs as the phone only uses data for short periods.

This isn’t something to get too concerned about but on the “pay as you go” plan it should be considered. Other providers charge on 1KB blocks which is a far fairer method & this could be construed as somewhat devious.

icon_biggrin.gif :D/ :D/ icon_biggrin.gif
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: 1, 2  [Next >>]
Jump to: