Is it worth complaining to Coles about their meat?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastoi
I'm a NGE Premium Subscriber

PostPosted: 11 May 11 15:06
Post subject: Is it worth complaining to Coles about their meat?

you're getting the point wrong topsi4, my question (as sarcastic as my tone may be) really is that who is a REAL authority on the pain an animal suffers? Have we invented a device that measures discomfort in an animal's brain using one method against another?

IMHO, it is one expert's view against another which puts one method over another. One of my simple reasons (in addtion to my religious beliefs) is purely scientific, that when an animal is killed in a Kosher / Halal manner, it bleeds to death (due to the heart continuously pumping blood long after its died) and as blood contains large amounts of urea prior purification, the end result meat itself is cleaner than stunning where the heart stops immediately stopping blood or urea from leaving the body.

I prefer my meat p**s free and until an animal tells me they suffer from one method more than the other, I will continue buying Kosher / Halal meat.
topsi4

PostPosted: 11 May 11 14:44

mastoi, you may not care about the way an animal is killed but I do, and so do a lot of other people. You can LOL all you like if you don't care and just want the steak. But you are an increasing minority. People DO care about how animals are treated whether they are meat eaters or not. I am not religious, so that doesn't come into it at all. We've got to kill animals for meat, so let's do it in the most civilised manner.
mastoi

PostPosted: 11 May 11 14:08

LOL, so its OK to kill the animals for our own benefit but we're concerned about their preference to die? Has anyone asked the cow about her preferred method to die? whether she prefers to have the urea leave her body after she's lying dead or stay within the blood?

Hey don't get me wrong, I have seen both methods of slaughter and still love my steaks and drumsticks, but I wonder how vegans feel about our reasoning, "forget about the fact that I am going to kill this poor calf for my tummy, I just prefer shooting it in the head rather than letting it bleed to death".

Bravo!

And @Balmainboy, thanks for having a realistic view of things, thank God for having good people like you who don't need 'glasses' to view the world...
topsi4

PostPosted: 11 May 11 13:09

For me, this issue is how humanely animals are killed. If animals aren't killed humanely, I don't care about the whys and wherefores, I won't buy that meat. Same with eggs. I only buy free range. I am still not convinced Coles is selling 100% Halal meat nor whether Halal is killed less humanely. I'd like to hear from Coles themselves.
balmainboy

PostPosted: 11 May 11 13:03

I am very worried after reading some of the comments to this story - it is not really concerning a consumer issue, it would seem to be propaganda. I looked at the Q Society Website as suggested. It is a site attacking muslims and Islam under the cover of 'non-assimilation'. It also calls the BDS campaign a 'cancer'(BDS stands for Boycotts, Divestment, Sanctions and is a campaign on behalf of the Palestinians to try and influence Israel to negotiate). I think the BDS campaign is as legitimate as the Q Society. I must say that this society lost me in its first couple of paragraphs stating "Our members insist the bedrock of this society must remain Judaeo-Christian in ethics and values on which our mainly Anglo-Saxon and European forefathers have built the Australian Nation". I come from an Irish background which makes me a Celt, so are my Scottish and Welsh brothers and sisters. I generally ignore the Anglo-Saxon centricity of the English, but this mob is using it to attack Muslims because they don't comply with what these people think we should all look like, believe and feel. Halal or Kosher meat? Who cares! As long as it tastes yummy. This mob probably thinks that anyone eating a kebab is a race traitor.
mastoi

PostPosted: 11 May 11 09:50

@Auntieg - You may find this hard to believe but both Christian God and Allah are the same. "According to Islamic view, Isa (Jesus) son of Mary, was a prophet and messenger of God. It is believed that Jesus was not crucified; instead he was raised bodily. According to many hadith and believed by each and every Muslim, he will return to Earth. At the time appointed by God, Jesus will physically return to this world and aid the Mahdi"

Now that we have that out, @Littleyoungme, Kosher and Halal meat are exactly the same and both Jews and Muslims can and do eat either without any problems.

And yes, I am a muslim (not trained in terrorism, because in my household, there was only one version of Quran, and that was against acts of terrorism, LOL).

Anyone wondering then why we say Allah-u-Akbar, is because Arabic is a different language to English, (ie: Chair is called Kursi and World is Dunya and God is Allah), simple explanation really eusa_whistle.gif

But seriously, I agree that it should be labelled to make an informed decision, I have been travelling 27kms from my town to get meat every fortnight, right after doing my groceries at Coles, ironic...
bettybotter

PostPosted: 11 May 11 09:50

Google "The Q Society of Australia Inc" for further information relevant to halal meat and chicken...they estimate that fully two thirds of Australian meat and chicken (I guess the other third are the pork products) are halal certified.

Halal certification requires that the animals/birds are slaughtered by muslim workers and must be approved by muslim clerics...for a fee, of course!

Do what I do; ask the butcher or chicken shop servers if their products are halal and hope that they tell you the truth. Do it loudly so that other shoppers start to become aware of the insidious influence this bullying minority has upon Australians.

topsi4

PostPosted: 11 May 11 09:29

How do we know for sure that all Coles' meat is killed halal style? I find this difficult to believe personally.
Littleyoungme

PostPosted: 03 May 11 13:32

Auntieg, yes I found that out too. And I don't like it one bit, not just because of the method of killing or anything to do with God, but why should I be forced to eat halal food, imagine if Coles and Woolworths sold kosher foods without telling the Muslims? OH NO you can't do that!! eusa_naughty.gif

And it's not like we have a choice do we?
computerflyer

PostPosted: 03 May 11 06:03

Your coment on your god versus others' gods is more telling than your concern about methods of slaughter. eusa_eh.gif
Auntieg

PostPosted: 03 May 11 01:56

What do NGE members think? I have recently learned that all chicken supplied to our shops is slaughtered according to sharia law and is therefore halal. It is not labelled as such.
Also Beef and lamb products sold at Coles & Woolworths are halal also but are unlabelled.
I have two problems with halal slaughtering. 1. I believe that it is inhumane to kill animals without stunning them and that the RSPCA is trying to have the practice outlawed. I find it very distressing to read about the way the poor animals are slaughtered. 2. I think it is wrong for the meat not to be labelled as halal. Observant Christians shouldn't eat food offered to another God and this would probably apply to other religions as well. The very fact that Coles in particular don't advertise that their meat is slaughtered in this way, to me means that they know they would lose business if people knew.
eusa_think.gif
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: [<< Previous]  1, 2, 3
Jump to: